Saturday, November 8, 2014

First Week Back to Work

Baby #2 is here and I’ve now been back to work a full week. It’s high time I updated the blog! And, finished up things like sending out birth announcements. Hmm, whoops. Go figure, having a newborn in the house made things a bit crazier and has allowed for a lot less sleep.

Going back to work was at least easier with Lil’ Chica than with Lil’ O. I think that is largely due to it just being the second time around. My maternity leave with Lil’ Chica, while it of course had its ups and downs, was smoother than with Lil’ O. I think I realized more of what I needed to do (and not do) to stay sane. As a result, I did things like getting out of the house more and caring about mess and schedules less. I also mostly persevered with breastfeeding – more details to come – and that made it easier to be mobile than with Lil’ O. (Since I had early supply issues with him that the doctors were concerned by, he got a bottle really early, never looked back, and I took to pumping. Being tied to a pump is extremely limiting!!)

So, going back to work…I’m happy to report that I did pretty well. Monday was the most difficult day, but I put aside my missing Lil’ Chica and really, really focused on the new assignment I’ll be spending my days on with work. I love a new challenge and it helped that I hadn’t been at the computer much during my leave. So, coming back to strategic thinking and writing felt refreshing. I did sneak some breaks to look at pictures of my little girl, though. She sure is a cutie. Each subsequent day this week got easier and I'm grateful that I already have assignments coming in and deadlines to meet, all of which will help keep me focused.

Being at work was one challenge, but I also fly solo with the kids in the morning. So, it’s up to me to get them both fed, dressed and out the door to preschool – yup, Lil’ O is now in preschool, he’s so big! – and daycare. I was dreading Monday because the prospect of getting them ready was so daunting. I did have to get Lil’ O ready and to preschool through most of my leave, but I now had a deadline, somewhere I needed to be by a certain time. Gulp. Thankfully, getting the kiddos ready, overall, went more smoothly than anticipated, though we still got out the door later than I’d hoped most mornings. I think we mostly got it down, but I’ll be continually tweaking our morning routine to get Lil’ Chica dressed and nursed before getting up Lil’ O to dress, feed and wrangle him. He is definitely the more challenging of the two! Any and all tips on how to streamline a morning routine are most welcome!
Lil' O breakfast shenanigans

No comments:

Post a Comment